UniCare is the only health plan that offers medical benefits exclusively to Group Insurance Commission members. We are uniquely positioned to tailor what we do to those who receive their health coverage through the GIC.
Looking to enroll?
Or you can contact your GIC Coordinator for assistance.
When you choose a UniCare plan, you’ll get:
- Unparalleled customer service. Our member satisfaction rates consistently top 90% and our members renew year after year.
- Your choice of providers. UniCare plans cover them all. Use the plan’s contracted providers for the highest benefits at the lowest out-of-pocket costs.
- No referral or PCP requirements. Our plans don’t require you to choose a primary care provider (PCP) or to obtain referrals to see specialists.
- The option to use any hospital. Receive services at any hospital, including the premier Boston-area teaching and research hospitals. Your copays may vary by hospital, depending on which UniCare plan you choose.
- Coverage beyond the Commonwealth. When you travel or live outside of Massachusetts, UniCare’s travel network protects you from unexpected bills.
- Prescription drug coverage. Prescription drug coverage for our non-Medicare plans is administered by Express Scripts. SilverScript administers prescription drug coverage for Medicare members.
- Behavioral health coverage. The network of behavioral health providers offered by Beacon Health Options is the largest in the country.
- Access to virtual care options. We offer a range of digital tools and resources available anywhere, anytime. Explore our virtual care options.
- Discounts on products and services. Learn more about our SpecialOffers for members.
Watch Our Video
Watch this short video to learn more about the four UniCare plans.
Four Great Plans To Choose From
UniCare offers three health plans for non-Medicare GIC members and their families and one plan for Medicare members. Our plans differ by residency requirements, which providers you can use, how much your monthly payment (premium) is, and whether you are eligible for Medicare.
Select one of the four plans below to find out more.
UniCare’s Basic plan is anything but basic. This standout plan covers you anywhere in the world, no matter where you live. You can see any doctor and use any hospital — the cost to you stays the same.
There’s no hospital tiering in Basic. Your costs are the same whether you receive services at your nearby community hospital, at a Boston-area teaching hospital, or at a hospital on the other side of the country.
You’re always free to see any primary care or specialty care doctor. There are two specialist tiers and, as with all UniCare plans, primary care doctors aren’t tiered at all.
Basic with CIC (comprehensive coverage) offers the highest level of benefits — 100% coverage for most covered services — for a higher premium (monthly payment). You’ll have a lower premium if you choose the non-CIC option, but most services are covered at 80%.
Choose Basic if you:
- Live outside New England for all or part of the year.
- Have dependents who receive regular healthcare in other states.
- Want the freedom to see any doctor — or go to any hospital — without any differences in coverage.
- Have complex medical needs.
- Are comfortable with a higher monthly payment for our best plan flexibility and access.
Take a look at the Summary of Plan Benefits for Basic to find out more about this plan’s benefits.
If you live in New England, check out our PLUS plan. This plan offers great benefits and flexibility at a lower monthly payment than the Basic plan.
PLUS keeps your out-of-pocket costs lowest when you use PLUS providers. All Massachusetts doctors and hospitals – along with all UniCare-contracted doctors and hospitals throughout New England – are PLUS providers.
You have access to all the PLUS hospitals, including the Boston-area hospitals, with three copay tiers. You’ll pay the lowest copay at Tier 1 hospitals.
Your out-of-pocket costs will always be lowest when you use PLUS providers, but you’re still free to use non-PLUS providers at the non-PLUS 80% benefit level.
Choose PLUS if you:
- Live and receive medical care in New England.
- Generally receive medical care near home, but want the choice to use other providers too.
- Want the option to use Boston-area teaching and research hospitals, and are willing to pay more out-of-pocket to do so.
- Are comfortable with a higher monthly payment to ensure broader access to providers.
Take a look at the Summary of Plan Benefits for PLUS to find out more about this plan’s benefits.
Community Choice is our limited network plan that lets you use all Massachusetts doctors and 58 hospitals throughout Massachusetts.
If you live here in the Commonwealth and receive hospital services at one of the Community Choice hospitals, you’ll enjoy the lowest monthly payment of any GIC offering, with the same benefits as our higher-premium plans.
In Community Choice, non-hospital services — including doctor visits — are covered the same no matter where you go or who you see.
This plan is designed for those who get hospital care at a Community Choice hospital. Even so, you have the freedom to use other hospitals at a reduced benefit level.
Community Choice hospitals are located across Massachusetts — even Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston and Children’s Hospital Boston are Community Choice. There’s bound to be a plan hospital near you.
Choose Community Choice if you:
- Live and receive medical care in Massachusetts.
- Get most elective hospital services at a nearby community hospital.
- Would prefer to keep your monthly payments as low as possible.
- Are okay with paying more out-of-pocket for services at a non-Community Choice hospital.
Note: The Community Choice plan is not available in Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard.
Take a look at the Summary of Plan Benefits for Community Choice to find out more about this plan’s benefits.
An overwhelming majority of the GIC’s Medicare retirees choose UniCare’s Medicare Extension plan. Here are some reasons why:
- You can use any doctor or hospital in the U.S. for both routine and ongoing care, as well as emergency care – even when you’re away from home. You will receive the highest benefit when you use Medicare participating providers.
- UniCare’s experienced member services team serves GIC members only, providing expert support for your questions or concerns.
- We cover some things Medicare doesn’t cover, like hearing aids and routine eye exams.
- You have coverage for prescription drugs, eliminating a coverage gap that could leave you with high bills.
- You save on the following costs:
- You have a $10 copay for visits to doctors, nurse practitioners and physician assistants, as well as at urgent care centers and retail medical clinics. Other GIC Medicare plans require you to pay more for these visits.
- You have no copay at all for the first four visits with an in-network behavioral health provider. After that, you’ll owe only a $10 copay.
- There are no calendar year deductibles, no lifetime maximiums, and no limitations due to pre-existing conditions.
- Our plan offers you the convenience of automatic Medicare crossover. This means your claims are sent directly from Medicare to UniCare so you don’t need to file twice.
Take a look at the Summary of Plan Benefits for Medicare Extension to find out more about this plan’s benefits.
Looking for Plan Materials?
Visit our Plan Materials page for more information about the July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023 plan year. Learn about plan benefits, available providers, and member resources that offer convenience, support, and savings.
If you’re thinking about enrolling in a UniCare plan, give us a call to find out more:
Basic, PLUS, and Community Choice : 833-663-4176
Medicare Extension : 800-442-9300
Why GIC Members Choose UniCare
From providing coverage for out-of-state dependents to offering best-in-class customer service, our GIC members share why they chose a UniCare health plan.
"The mark of a great insurance company is how it works when things go unexpectedly wrong. In August I had a terrible fall… I never had to worry about a doctor refusing my insurance or which doctor I visited for treatment. When I called to ask a question, I always spoke with a real human being. Although my accident was terrible, the care that I received was excellent."
Gail, UniCare member for over 20 years
Virtual Care & Member Resources
With virtual care, the doctor is always in. Put your health first, even if you’re busy – we’re here for you day and night. Virtual care doctors can diagnose many conditions, follow up on other care you’ve had, and arrange for lab work. Behavioral health providers are available too. Virtual care supports your whole health.
- Sydney Mobile Health App – Your personalized app for UniCare resources and plan communications, using a smartphone, tablet, or computer with a webcam.
- LiveHealth Online – Our telehealth option lets you speak with a speak with a doctor 24/7, through your smartphone, tablet, or computer with internet access and a webcam.
- TytoCare – At-home exam kits for better telehealth.
- 24-Hour Nurse Line – Nurses are here to answer your questions 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Whole Health, Whole You – Our health guides and primary nurses give you personalized answers and guidance.
- Find Care – Find primary and specialty care medical providers and see which tier your Massachusetts specialist is designated as.
- Mass4YOU Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for active state and municipal employees and their dependents – Check out the many free resources available to you.
- Download the Hospital List.
How We Tier Specialists – Your office visit copay with specialists depends on the specialist’s tier. All specialists within a group practice have the same tier. link to blog post with FAQs
SpecialOffers & Discounts for UniCare Members
As a UniCare member, you qualify for discounts on products and services that help promote better health and well-being. These discounts are available through SpecialOffers to help you save money while taking care of your health.
To find all discounts available to you, log into the UniCare member portal.
If you have questions or need help, call UniCare Member Services toll free (833-663-4176 for Basic, PLUS, and Community Choice members or 800-442-9300 for Medicare Extension members).
Glasses.com™ and 1-800-CONTACTS® — Shop for the latest brand-name frames for a fraction of the cost for similar frames at other retailers. You are also entitled to an additional $20 off orders of $100 or more, plus free shipping and free returns.
EyeMed — Take 30% off a new pair of glasses, 20% off non-prescription sunglasses, and 20% off all eyewear accessories.
Premier LASIK — Save $800 on LASIK when you choose any “featured” Premier LASIK network provider. Save 15% with all other in-network providers.
TruVision — Save up to 40% on LASIK eye surgery at more than 1,000 locations.
Nations Hearing — Receive hearing screenings and in-home service at no additional cost. All hearing aids start at $599 each.
Hearing Care Solutions — Digital instruments start at $500, and a hearing exam is free. Hearing Care Solutions has 3,100 locations and eight manufacturers. It offers a three-year warranty, batteries for two years, and unlimited visits for one year.
Amplifon — Take 25% off, plus an extra $50 off one hearing aid; $125 off two.
ProClear™Aligners — Take $1,200 off a set of custom aligners. You can improve your smile without metal braces and time-consuming dental visits. Your order is 50% off and comes with a free whitening kit.
Active&Fit Direct™ — Active&Fit Direct allows you to choose from more than 11,000 participating fitness centers nationwide for $25 a month (plus a $25 enrollment fee and applicable taxes). Offered through American Specialty Health Fitness, Inc.
FitBit — Work toward your fitness goals with Fitbit trackers and smartwatches that go with your lifestyle and budget. Save up to 22% on select Fitbit devices.
Garmin — Take 20% off select Garmin wellness devices.
Jenny Craig® — Join this weight loss program for free. Jenny Craig provides you with everything you need, making it easier to reach your goals. You can save $200 on food, in addition to free coaching, with minimum purchase. Save an extra 5% off your full menu purchase. Details apply.
ChooseHealthy® — Discounts are available on acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, podiatry, physical therapy, and nutritional services. You also have discounts on fitness equipment, wearable trackers, and health products such as vitamins and nutrition bars.
GlobalFit — Discounts apply on gym memberships, fitness equipment, coaching, and other services
23andMe — Receive $40 off each Health + Ancestry Service Kit. Save 20% on a 23andMe kit and learn about your wellness and ancestry.
Safe Beginnings®— Babyproof your home while saving 15% on everything from safety gates to outlet covers.
WINFertility® — Save up to 40% on infertility treatment. WINFertility helps make quality treatment affordable.
LifeMart® — Take advantage of great deals on beauty and skin care, diet plans, fitness club memberships and plans, personal care, spa services, yoga classes, sports gear, and vision care.
ASPCA Pet Insurance — Receive 5% off pet insurance. You can choose from three levels of care, including flexible deductibles and custom reimbursements.
Nationwide Pet Insurance — Receive an automatic 5% discount when you enroll through UniCare. Save up to 15% when you enroll multiple pets.
SelfHelpWorks — Choose one of the online living programs and save 15% on coaching to help you lose weight, stop smoking, manage stress or diabetes, restore sound sleep, or face an alcohol problem.
Brevena — Enjoy a 41% discount on BREVENA® skin care creams and balms for smooth, rejuvenated skin from face to foot.
Puritan’s Pride® — Choose from a large selection of discounted vitamins, minerals, and supplements from Puritan’s Pride.
Allergy Control Products and National Allergy Supply — Save up to 25% on select doctor-recommended products such as allergy free bedding, air purifiers and filters, and asthma products. Orders over $59 ship for free by ground within the contiguous U.S.
How Can I Get More Information?
Visit the Members Overview page to learn about the helpful resources available to you.
Request plan materials by sending a message through our online form.