Skip To Main Content
Main Content

Explore Our Plans

Annual Enrollment is here (April 7 – May 5, 2021)!

Questions? Call our dedicated annual enrollment phone line at 877-633-6396.

Ready to enroll in UniCare? Your deadline is May 5, 2021. Enroll in one of our plans online at the GIC’s website. Use myGICLink to complete and submit your digital enrollment form.

Important! If you’re a current UniCare member and would like to stay in the same UniCare plan, you don’t have to take any action. Your coverage will continue automatically in the same plan on July 1, 2021. Review your GIC Benefit Decision Guide  for more information or contact your GIC Coordinator for assistance.

UniCare is the only health plan that offers medical benefits exclusively to GIC members.

We are uniquely positioned to tailor what we do to those who receive their health coverage through the GIC. With a UniCare plan, you will have: 

  • Coverage for prescription drugs (administered by Express Scripts for non-Medicare members and by SilverScript for Medicare members).
  • Coverage for behavioral health services through Beacon Health Options’ network, the largest behavioral health network in the country.
  • Coverage beyond the Commonwealth. When you travel or live outside Massachusetts, UniCare’s travel network protects you from unexpected bills. 

Continue reading for more information about annual enrollment and our plans.

Four Great Plans to Choose From

UniCare offers three health plans for non Medicare GIC members and their families and one plan for Medicare members. Our plans differ by residency requirements; which providers you can use; what premiums you pay; and whether you are eligible for Medicare.

  • Basic

  • PLUS

  • Community Choice

  • Medicare Extension

Basic

With Basic, you can live anywhere in the world, see any doctor, and use any hospital – no other GIC health plan offers this much freedom.

Learn more about the Basic plan.

PLUS

Our PLUS PPO plan is available to GIC members living in any New England state. Members will enjoy lower premiums without compromising coverage, flexibility, or choice.

Learn more about the PLUS plan.

Community Choice

GIC members who live in Massachusetts (but not including Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard) can receive services from any one of 58 Community Choice hospitals near them. Plus, premiums will be the lowest of any GIC health plan.

Learn more about the Community Choice plan.

Medicare Extension

Use any doctor and hospital in the U.S. with UniCare’s Medicare Extension indemnity plan. This means you can get routine and ongoing care when you’re away from home. To get the most out of your plan and to receive higher benefits, it’s best to use Medicare participating providers.

Learn more about the Medicare Extension plan.

Benefits Overview

Download one of our brochures to review a summary of each plan’s benefits. Please note that benefits vary depending on the services you receive and the providers you see, so be sure to carefully read the member handbook to fully understand your benefits.

Frequently Asked Questions

Review these common questions about our plans and please contact our team if you have any further questions.

CIC stands for Comprehensive Insurance Coverage. Our two indemnity plans, Basic and Medicare Extension, have the CIC option. When you have CIC, more services are covered at 100% (compared to 80% without CIC). However, the same services are covered whether you have CIC or not.
Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs) are plans that have a network of doctors and hospitals that are "preferred" by the health plan. When you see a preferred provider, UniCare pays 100% of the allowed amount (after copay and deductible, if any). When you see a non-preferred provider, UniCare pays 80% of the allowed amount (after copay and deductible, if any), and you are responsible for the other 20%. Outside of Massachusetts, non-preferred providers may bill you for charges over what UniCare pays.
 
UniCare offers two PPO-type plans, Community Choice and PLUS:
 
  • Community Choice (our limited network plan) – Includes all Massachusetts doctors and 58 hospitals throughout Massachusetts. You can use non-Community Choice hospitals, but your out-of-pocket cost will be much higher. 
  • PLUS – Includes all Massachusetts doctors and hospitals. Members can also use UniCare contracted providers in other New England states.

How Can I Get More Information?

Check out this short video that compares our four plans.

 

Visit the Members Overview page to learn about the helpful resources available to you.

 

Call UniCare Member Services toll free to request plan materials:

Basic, PLUS, and Community Choice members call
833-663-4176

Medicare Extension members call
800-442-9300

 

Request plan materials by sending a message through our online form.