UniCare is the only health plan that offers medical benefits exclusively to GIC members.
We are uniquely positioned to tailor what we do to those who receive their health coverage through the GIC. With a UniCare plan, you will have:
- Coverage for prescription drugs (administered by Express Scripts for non-Medicare members and by SilverScript for Medicare members).
- Coverage for behavioral health services through Beacon Health Options’ network, the largest behavioral health network in the country.
- Coverage beyond the Commonwealth. When you travel or live outside Massachusetts, UniCare’s travel network protects you from unexpected bills.
Continue reading for more information about our plans and how to enroll.
Four Great Plans to Choose From
UniCare offers three health plans for non-Medicare GIC members and their families and one plan for Medicare members. Our plans differ by residency requirements; which providers you can use; what premiums you pay; and whether you are eligible for Medicare.
With Basic, you can live anywhere in the world, see any doctor, and use any hospital – no other GIC health plan offers this much freedom.
Our PLUS PPO plan is available to GIC members living in any New England state. Members will enjoy lower premiums without compromising coverage, flexibility, or choice.
GIC members who live in Massachusetts (but not including Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard) can receive services from any one of 58 Community Choice hospitals near them. Plus, premiums will be the lowest of any GIC health plan.
Use any doctor and hospital in the U.S. with UniCare’s Medicare Extension indemnity plan. This means you can get routine and ongoing care when you’re away from home. To get the most out of your plan and to receive higher benefits, it’s best to use Medicare participating providers.
Review these common questions about our plans and please contact our team if you have any further questions.
- Community Choice (our limited network plan) – Includes all Massachusetts doctors and 58 hospitals throughout Massachusetts. You can use non-Community Choice hospitals, but your out-of-pocket cost will be much higher.
- PLUS – Includes all Massachusetts doctors and hospitals. Members can also use UniCare contracted providers in other New England states.
How Can I Get More Information?
Check out this short video that compares our four plans.
Visit the Members Overview page to learn about the helpful resources available to you.
Request plan materials by sending a message through our online form.