Beating the Holiday BluesNovember 21, 2021
Do you get the holiday blues, or experience symptoms of depression or anxiety around this time of year? If so, you’re not alone -- each year around the holidays, many people experience mixed emotions tied to the expectations and obligations of the season. For some, the holidays are not a season of joy, but something much more complicated and emotional.
Try these ways to beat the blues:
Check your dashboard. Just like the dashboard on your car gives you indicators for what is needed for optimal operation, our physical and emotional health indicate how well we’re functioning. Give yourself a quick check:
- How is my energy level (fuel)?
- What are my emotions telling me (temperature)?
- Do I need to slow down (speedometer)?
- How would I know when to reach out for support (check engine light)?
- Do I need some space (adjust your mirrors)?
The genius of the dashboard is that it’s telling you something, but you have to notice it first!