We offer three plans for GIC members who are not eligible for Medicare, all of which offer freedom of choice to see any doctor without a referral, and one plan for GIC members who are eligible for Medicare.
Enhanced Personal Health Care
HIV PrEP Benefit (October 2023)
HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) service is a covered benefit under all UniCare plans since 2021. Coverage includes medications (subject to your prescription drug benefit) testing, monitoring, and adherence counseling.
The preventive diagnosis codes included in this benefit are:
- Z11.4 – Encounter for screening for HIV
- Z11.3 – Encounter for screening for infections with a predominantly sexual mode of transmission
- Z11.59 – Encounter for screening for other viral diseases
- Z20.6 – Contact with and (suspected) exposure to HIV
- Z20.2 – Contact with and (suspected) exposure to infections with a predominantly sexual mode of transmission
- Z20.5 – Contact with and (suspected) exposed to viral hepatitis
- Lab tests ordered to evaluate conditions potentially associated with long-term use of PrEP medication (i.e., creatinine to assess for potential kidney injury) should include Z79.899 (Other long-term, current drug therapy)
Effective October 1, 2023, the following diagnosis code has been added as a covered benefit:
- Diagnosis code Z298.1 – Encounter For HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (other specified prophylactic measures). This diagnosis code is covered under UniCare’s preventive benefit policy.